Paper 1 Reflection

I feel like this practice paper 1 went fairly well. I was able to describe the two texts in detail, 
and effectively analyze the similarities and differences between them. These two texts were 
somewhat easy to compare, due to them focusing on the same specific issue and both being 
somewhat concise in their storytelling. In my paper, I focused on the texts’ focus on gender 
stereotyping, particularly of young girls, during the 1980s, when these texts were written. 
Overall, I feel like I was able to write a relatively effective paper, and feel generally confident 
about writing similar papers in the future.

     Text 1 was a cartoon depicting a conversation between a new mother and a nurse where the nurse assumes the mother's baby's gender through its stereotypical features. Due to the visual style of this text, it was somewhat easy to analyze. The style of the characters, as well as the exaggerated emotions expressed by the characters add to the comedic effect of the text. Text 2, on the other hand, was a passage from a memoir about living in Iran while its society was undergoing dramatic shifts, particularly with regards to women's rights. Due to symbolism being incredibly prominent in this text, it was also relatively easy to analyze and compare to text 1. 

     Overall, I felt like the organization aspect of the paper went fairly well. My ideas were fairly clear throughout the essay, and were placed in an at least somewhat logical order within the paragraphs. An area in which I feel that I fell short, however, was the introduction and conclusion. I feel like I definitely could have included more detail and context within them, and my main argument was somewhat weak. However, other than in these areas, I feel generally satisfied with the final product and far more confident about the exam in two years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Political Cartoon Analysis

An Example of Bias in the Media